Saturday, October 2, 2010

September Ends

Quite a fruitful trading month for me.  For my actual cash gains, I managed to net 7.26% relative to last month's closing equity value of my portfolio.  If I cash out everything on September's end (I am currently holding 5 stocks),  I could increase it to 9.87%.


Recap:
August (5.13% cash earnings; 2.69% End of the month equity value)
- For this month, gains in equity value was lesser than actual cash earnings due to a slump in the market at month's end.  Gains were credited from a long position at ALI (1month) and a momentum trade with MPI (10 days).  Getting out of JGS too early, when it was on an uptrend was a mistake.  I was just too hasty in taking profits after being stuck with the stock for nearly a month. Got a bit lucky with 3rd liners NI and ORE with an attempt in range trading.  Nearly got bitten by an ORE downtrend but was able to escape at break-even.

September
(7.26% cash earnings; 9.87% End of the month equity value)
- Significant improvement in trades.  Played shifting with some 7 stocks on the momentum.  Implemented some top slicing on my core stocks such as SCC and EDC.  Swift gains coming from ALI and MPI.

==
DS foresees some major correction on October as the August and September markets have been in overbought conditions.  I have increased my cash positions which would be reflected on this month.  Cautious trades are advised.  Now that I am busy with my graduate studies, I plan to try to implement a buy and hold strategy on fundamentally good stocks, starting with the power sector.

PD:
EDC - 30%
AP- less than 20%
CMT - less than 20%
FGEN - less than 20%
SCC - more than 5%
cash - more than 5% 

(note: CMT is a "cement stock", while SCC is a cross between power and mining)

0 comments :

Post a Comment