Sunday, February 5, 2012

Personal Finance (Start of 2012)


As part of my quest in properly managing my finances, I aim to monitor my whole personal portfolio and see to it that I am properly diversified.  I have created this composition chart for easier visualization.  I don't have any fixed assets (real estate/ condo) nor have a business portfolio yet.  Basically, my personal portfolio is wholly an investment portfolio.

Components:
ScIoN Fund - this is my trading portfolio wherein I invest and trade on Philippine equities.  Right now, YTD performance (>1 month) is at 12%.  If I am able to consistently outperform the PSE index and most MF/UITFs, then I'd consider increasing my allocation of funds here.

Equity Managed Funds - A larger chunk invested in professionally managed Funds such as BDO Equity (YTD: 6.5%)and ATR Kim Eng Mutual Fund (YTD: 1%).  I only plan to place funds here when I am bullish; thus, only for the short term.  Clearly, ATR MF is underperforming that I plan to shift funds from it to somewhere better.

Bond Funds - A safety measure for me as I have already invested almost 70% of my portfolio into equities.  Bond Funds will provide a hedge against too much volatility in the market.  Bond Funds are good for medium term investments which can give around 5-10% annual yields.  (YTD: 0.4%)

Money Market - In terms of liquidity, this is the best alternative for me than putting money into Time Deposits/SDAs or worse, Savings accounts which only give negligible interest rates.  Although right now,  allocation is at 0% since I am still transitioning funds into the other accounts.  Most of my money in the bank is also in BDO, and it is comparatively harder to shift funds from savings accounts to their other bank products such as UITFs.  Unlike with BPI, they have done a great job with their online investment capability.

Savings - My main bank is currently BDO since it's very near my current residence and also due to sentimental reasons (been with PCI Bank since the late 90s).  Convenience and availability is OK, but innovation is lacking.  There is a chance I might have a major shift to BPI due to more efficient systems and processes such as their online banking.  Savings account will only be maintained for emergency and liquidity purposes; thus, I plan to minimize exposure here.



0 comments :

Post a Comment